Researcher since: 2009
Born in Portugal at Gavião in 1963. www.antoniocanau.com
2013 - Work in progress: - Post PhD in Architecture in the area of Drawing and Visual Culture by the Faculty of Architecture of the Lisbon University. - The reformulation of the canons of the use of new digital technologies as an exponential element of the visual record obtained by the conventional tools of drawing, engraving, Photography and Sculpture .
Supervisor Professor José Pinto Duarte.
2011 - PhD in Architecture, Area of Visual Communication. Faculty of Architecture - Lisbon Technical University. Thesis: Drawing with the acids: The Work of Bartolomeu Cid dos Santos.
Supervisor Professor Fernando Moreira da Silva, Co Supervisor Professor Francisco Santos Agostinho.
1997 – Master of Arts in fine Art – Printmaking. Slade School of Fine Art – UCL London. Awarded Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation Scholarship. 1993 – Sculpture Degree with Distinction. Lisbon Fine Arts School – Lisbon University. 1991, 1989 - Portuguese Printmakers Cooperative.Mixed Media processes and Litography Curse.
Teaches Drawing and Photography at the Architecture School of the University of Lisbon, from the Academic Year 1998/99 and is currently Assistant Professsor in the Drawing, Geometry and Computing, Section of the Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences Department
Researcher at CIAUD, full member.
2011 – Portuguese National Fine Arts Academy Sculpture Award Gustavo Cordeiro Ramos 2011.
2011 – Awarded Honourable Mention at the XVII Bienal Galeria Aberta – Beja. 2009 - Awarded Honourable Mention at the V Sintra’s Biennial of Contemporary Art Medal. 2007 - Awarded Honourable Mention at the IV Sintra’s Biennial of Contemporary Art Medal. 1992 – Youth Prize of the III Amadora’s Print Biennial. 26 solo exhibitions, 63 Group Exhibitions, 17 Biennials in Portugal, 56 exhibitions and international print biennials between 1984 - 2013. 11 Public Art Works in Portugal. Public Colections: U.K., British Museum, Prints and drawings Room, and Coins and Medals Department, Canada, France, Hungary, Italy, Japan, Jugoslávia, Poland, Romania, USA. Portugal, Modern Art Center, Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation.
DESENHO DIGITAL - A UTILIZAÇÃO DOS PROGRAMAS PHOTOSHOP E ADOBE ILUSTRATOR COMO FERRAMENTAS EXPERIMENTAIS DO DESENHO
ORCID: 0000 0002 5944 8905
Published Paper Edition (1)
- CANAU, Antonio. Bartolomeu Cid dos Santos: The Drawing by acids.
Catalogue of the VII International Print Biennial of Douro.
Text written in function Commissioner of thr Homage exhibition to Bartolomeu Cid dos Santos integrated at the VII International Print Biennial of Douro.
From August 10 to October 30, 2014.
Published Paper Edition (7)
- CANAU, Antonio. Mary Gabriel, Equivalences of expression on the printmaking work.
Exhibition designed and awaiting completion date.
Text written in Commissioner display function. (Awaiting publication).
- CANAU, Antonio. Plurality, duality - Unity: The Work Traveler Rui Pereira.
Introductory text. Book Rui Pereira A. Time Traveler.
D'Art Collection. Publisher Field Communication, 2014.
CANAU, Antonio. In the vortex of doing.
Introductory text. Exhibition catalog of José Martins O'Jorge The Axiom Body Geomancy, Through A Reptilian Vision. Gallery of the Municipal Library of Azambuja.
From December 15 to January 15, 2013.
- CANAU, Antonio. Introductory text. Slade Printmaking Portfolio 1996 exhibition catalog Slade School Portfolio in 1996.
Municipal Gallery of Alhambra Exhibition.
May / June 2012, p. 4.
Text written in Commissioner display function.
- CANAU, Antonio. Introductory text. Exhibition catalog of Bartolomeu Cid - engraving.
Municipal Gallery Quinta da Piedade.
From January 21 to February 25, 2012, p. 4.
Text written in Commissioner display function.
- CANAU, Antonio. "Sculptor Helder Batista - Medal / Object The harves and the Wind."
Exhibition "Medals with History" organized by the Portuguese National Press Mint in 2012.
Text published in the book Helder Batista Medals with history edited by INCM. Written at the invitation of Professor Sculpor Helder Batista.
- CANAU, Antonio. Introductory text. Catalog of the exhibition Antonio Canau " Sob Suposta Influência da Lua/ Under Supposed Influence of the Moon".
Municipal Gallery of Sintra. (Tourism Building).
From November 5 to December 4, 2011.
- CANAU, Antonio. "Engraving, Pros and Misconceptions." Engraving exhibition catalog "1/150 Engrave and Multiply". Prints from the collection of the Modern Art Centre of the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation JAP.
Casa da Cerca - Centre for Contemporary Art.
From January 31 to May 17, 2009.
Communications in international scientific meetings (2)
- On 10 August 2014, at 16:00 participated in the Coa Museum in Fozcôa at the conference New media and printmaking today gravura hoje, integrated into the VII International Print Biennial of Douro 2014, with the participation of Nuno Canelas moderator, António Martinho, António Canau, Silvestre Pestana, Fernando Santiago (Costa Rica) and Fernando Campos Real.
On 11 August 2014, at 16:00, gave at the Douro Museum in Régua, the conference Bartolomeu Cid dos Santos - The Drawing by acids, within the scope of his duties as commissioner of the exhibition Homage to Bartolomeu Cid dos Santos, integrated at the VII International Print Biennial of Douro 2014.
Communications in national scientific meetings (5)
- On April 4, 2014, between 17:45 16H15 and participated in the Faculty of Fine Arts, University of Lisbon in room 3.61 in the Yaw Conference, Back to Materiality, with the lecture Printmaking, hand, technical and expressive characteristics - Bartolomeu Cid dos Santos. Conference Integrated on the Public Sessions of the Third Cycle of Communication Design.
- On June 21, 2013, at 19:00 in Casa da Imprensa/The Press House, participated in the debate Word and Image - what is Art ?, about the Exhibition-Installation Times - Graphic work of Rui A. Pereira, with the participation of Antonio Carlos Cortez, poet, essayist and literary critic; Fernando Rosa Dias, professor at the Faculty of Fine Arts of Lisbon; Antonio Canau, professor at the faculty of architecture / UTL; and José Luiz Fernandes, journalist
- On May 27, 2013 by 11:00 am, in Room 4 at the Faculty of Architecture, UTL, integrated on the research line in Architecture and City Place, research project - Drawing, participated in the CIAUD evaluation seminar with the communication Around Faces.
- On May 27, 2013 by 11.15 am in Room 4 at the Faculty of Architecture, UTL, integrated on the research line in Architecture and City Place, research project - Drawing, participated in the CIAUD evaluation seminar with the communication Around Glitch
- On 12/01/2012, (15:00, 1:06 Room (Building ID Floor I) participated with Dr. Victor Correia at the Seminar on Issues of Aesthetics (SQE) - Session 3 -. Public Art, Organized by the Institute of Philosophy of Language (FCSH / UNL).
- On December 21, 2011 (17:00, Auditorium of the Library Fernando Piteira Santos, Amadora), participated at the lecture, technique and Sculpture technologies, driven by the sculptors Carlos Soares, Laranjeira Santos and António Canau, integrated in conversations around the Sculpture, inserted in Sculpture Outdoors Exhibition Amadora 2011, Organization Municipality of Amadora.
- In October 2011 participated in the Seminar Stone Project in Vila Viçosa organized by the Faculty of Architecture of UTL in partnership with the Municipality of Vila Viçosa.
Sceneries of Stone: capturing the light José António Cabido | Alexandra Ai Quintas | Ana Guerreiro | António Canau | Miguel Baptista Bastos
Updated on January 16, 2018