João Pedro Costa
Researcher since: 2010
João Pedro T. A. Costa (Lisbon, 1970) is an Architect (TU Lisbon, 1993), Master on Contemporary Architectonic Culture (TU Lisbon, 1998) and PhD on Urbanism (TU Catalonia, Barcelona, 2007). He has as pos-PhD on Architecture and Urbanism (TU Lisbon, 2011) and a habilitation to full professor (Agregação) in Urbanism (ULisbon, 2012).
He is Professor of Urbanism at the Faculty of Architecture, University of Lisbon, where he develops his teaching, research and expertise activity, and member of the Direction Board of the CIAUD – Research Centre of Architecture, Urbanism and Design, as well as Visiting Professor at the Barcelona University (PhD Program). He is also the director of the Portuguese professional journal Arquitecturas, since 2005.
From 2002 to 2004 he was advisor and head of cabinet of the Portuguese Secretary of State for Spatial Planning. Maintaining a general interest in urban and territorial planning issues, his current areas of research are waterfronts, climate change adaptation, urban morphology and urban regeneration.
Urbanized Estuaries and Deltas, contemporary agendas and international networks
Discussing the City: urbanism, urban management and development in Lisbon
- Costa, João Pedro (2013). “O Quarteirão, Elemento Experimental no Desenho da Cidade Contemporânea”. In: Coelho, Carlos Dias (Coord.). Os Elementos Urbanos. Argumentum, FCT, CIAUD - FA|ULisboa, FormaUrbisLab, AEALP, Cadernos de Morfologia Urbana, nº1. Lisbon. pp. 122|143.
- Pinho, Paulo; Santos Cruz, Sara; Costa, João Pedro; Sousa, Sílvia (2013). “Urban resilience and spatial dynamics”. In: Eraydin, Ayda; Tasan-Kok, Tuna (Ed.). Resilient Thinking in Urban Planning. Springer, The GeoJournal Library, volume 106. Dordrecht. pp. 53|70.
- Costa, João Pedro; Matos Silva, Maria; Nouri, André (2013). "Climate Change Adaptation and Urbanism: A Developing Agenda for Lisbon within the XXI Century”. In: Journal Urban Design International, Palgrave Macmillan, Volume 19, Issue 1 (Spring 2014), Hampshire, England. Open access. pp. 77|91.
- Costa, João Pedro (2011). “Urban Rehabilitation Societies. The Oporto case as a reference in the Portuguese practice”. In: Eckard, Frank; Colini, Laura (Coord.). Bauhaus and the City. A contested heritage for a challenging future. Königshausen & Neumann, Universidade de Weimar, coleção Bauhaus Urban Studies 1/2011. Wörzburg. pp. 88|112.
- Costa, João Pedro (2010). “Bairro de Alvalade: um Paradigma no Urbanismo Português”. 4th edition. Lisbon. Livros Horizonte. (3rd edition, 3007; 2nd edition, 2005; 1st edition, 2002).
- Costa, João Pedro (2010). “Urban Rehabilitation Societies (SRU): The Portuguese Case, Characteristics and Potentials”. In: Journal of Urban Regeneration and Renewal, Volume 3, n.º4, Abril-Junho de 2010, pp.395|414. Henry Stewart Publications, London.
- Coelho, Carlos; Lamas, José; et al. (2009). “A Praça em Portugal. Inventário de Espaço Público | Squares in Portugal. A Public Spaces Inventory”. 3 volumes. Lisbon. Direcção-Geral do Ordenamento do Território e Desenvolvimento Urbano e Faculdade de Arquitectura UTL.
- Costa, João Pedro (2007). "City, Port and Infrastructure: Breaking the barriers to integrated waterfront regeneration". in: NovaTerra, ano 7, n.º1. Haia, Holanda. pp.21|25.
Updated on January 17, 2018